Instant Coffee Plant – Standard Process
The quality of instant coffee is primarily defined by the quality and blend of the green coffee beans and the roasting process.
For instant coffee however, every subsequent manufacturing step is likely to impact on the quality in a negative sense. For this reason it is extremely important that an instant coffee line is well designed in terms of quality and flexibility.
The quality of the downstream equipment defines in the end the quality of you cup of coffee. For this purpose TEC Square can suggest quality solutions for each and every process step.
TEC Square is a specialist in instant coffee manufacturing. We employ engineers and operational managers with extensive operational experience. Our team of dedicated engineers has worked with the top manufacturers in the world. They have also worked at the limits of design possibilities in terms of quality, capacity and flexibility. Our team has supplied solutions for effective optimization plants as well.
Instant Coffee Plant design
TEC Square designs instant coffee plants with the operation and maintenance of our customers in mind. All of our key engineers have spent multiple years in manufacturing facilities. As such we understand the importance of ergonomic design and optimized work-flows.
Also we design our installations with flexibility in mind. This means that with our solution it is possible to invest in a simple solution at first. And to keep the option open to upgrade to a better solution at a later stage. Altogether, in our design we allow for the possibility to
Flexible Design of Instant Coffee Plants
TEC Square designs its own high-end instant coffee extraction plants. We combine flexibility, quality and operational effectiveness into one package. Our high-end technology is based on a combination of the following principles:
- Easy raw material handling
- Short cycle times
- Low energy usage
- Flexible Capacity
Our design normally allows for top quality instant coffee products. However we design our installations sometimes as a cost -effective solution, keeping future expansion in quality and capacity as an option. High yield extraction designs are equally possible.
A lower investment line is based on the following principles:
- The size and number of cells determines the yearly output. A smaller cell size will reduce the overall output in kg/h
- The number of cells determine initial investment. A smaller number of cells will mean less investment
- The number of cells determine also the quality. We define the initial and final objectives right from the start. A simple technology is often sufficient to start a simple business model.
Please visit the dedicated Flexible Extraction page for more information.
TEC Square has sees clarification and sludge handling as an integral part of the extraction operation. Our sludge system is linked into extraction as well. As a result we have several advantages.
- Sludge Handling – There is no manual sludge handling anymore. All sludge will be evacuated together with the coffee grounds.
- Operation – Fully automated operation
- Solids Recuperation – With sludge some soluble coffee is ejected out of the main stream. TEC Square recuperates all coffee solubles, which we feed back into the product stream.
- CIP – We supply a fully integrated CIP, normally fully automatic.
Please contact us for more information on this solution.
Flexible Aroma Recovery
When TEC Square designs an aroma recovery process, we will aim to recover exactly those aroma and taste components, that are important for your product quality, while omitting those that are unfavorable.
TEC Square Aroma recovery plants provide flexibility in aroma recovery. Aromas need to be separated for further use or discarded in order to get the perfect taste profile for your product. A successful design achieves this objective. Moreover, TEC Square also keeps flexibility in mind when designing an aroma recovery plant. Often several products are run on the same unit, and each might require a different approach.
We developed several ways to preserve aroma, ranging from simple and inexpensive to very sophisticated, depending on your needs and on the available budget. As taste and aroma is the key to success in each manufacturer’s operation, we do not detail the design in this forum. However we are more than happy to provide you with a tailor-made solutions, depending on your needs.
Please visit the dedicated Flexible Aroma Recovery page for more information on the functioning of the finisher.
Low-Impact Thermal Concentration
TEC Square developed the “Low-Impact Thermal Concentration” process to provide a cost-effective alternative against freeze concentration. In essence, the Low-Impact Thermal Concentration process has all the advantages a freeze concentration plant might have. However additional advantages are plentiful.
- Firstly it is much more flexible.
- Secondly it delivers much higher concentrations.
- And thirdly operational and investment costs are reduced.
Please visit the dedicated Low Impact Thermal Concentration page for more information.
TEC Square has installed “High Total Solids concentration” plants in many factories. For this purpose TEC Square uses the unique potential of a wiped film evaporator as a finisher. Even though the investment in this equipment is rather steep, a high-TS project will normally give a good pay-back. The operational benefits are overwhelming:
- Less operational losses on the your evaporator
The addition of a wiped film evaporator allows operations to reduce the set-point in TS on the existing evaporator. This in turn will reduce operational losses (1% savings on raw material are not uncommon). Lower TS on the existing evaporator will also create longer operational run times, which are beneficial to the operational cost.
- More aroma addition
As a wiped film evaporator can easily concentrate up to 60% Total Solids more aroma can be added.
- Higher and more consistent drying operation
The overall plants output is often defined by the dryer operation. A higher and more consistent TS, will result in a higher yearly output of the plant. Especially if a plant is at maximum capacity, a high-TS evaporator will become a viable solution.
Please visit the dedicated High-TS Concentration page for more information on the functioning of the wiped film evaporator.
High TS Spray Drying
High Total Solids Spray Drying will be the new trend in Spray Drying. The process has several advantages:
- It provides additional capacity on a single spray drying tower of often up to 20-30%.
- At the same time it will give a better end-product quality as a High-TS process has a higher aroma retention capability.
- Lastly less production losses will be created.
Please visit the dedicated High Total Solids Spray Drying page for more information
Most instant coffee factories have separate plants for spray drying and agglomeration. TEC Square provides an integrated solution with may operational advantages.
- In a normal operation up to 4 FTE’s (Full Time Employees) per shift can be saved using an integrated approach
- The operation becomes very flexible. On the same installation Instant Spray Dried Coffee and Agglomerated Instant Coffee can be made.
- An integrated approach allows for much easier dry reworking possibilities.
Please visit the dedicated Combined Spray Drying and Agglomeration page for more information.
Aroma Treatment of Powder
Our high-end Aroma Recovery technology can also provide solutions for aroma-addition to the final product. We are able to separate and stabilize the volatile aromatic components, that are ideal for enhancing the aroma of the final product.
We also supply solutions for aroma add-back to the final product.
And depending on the installation, we even can supply coffee oil recovery technology. This makes the entire process independent from third party supplies.
Please visit the dedicated Aroma Recovery page for more information