High-TS Spray Drying
High-TS Spray Drying is the future for spray drying operations. The main reason is that this technology will increase the nominal output per spray dryer. However in the second place the process simultaneously improves the quality of the product as less water is evaporated. In order to have an effective High-TS Spray Drying operation two processes will need to be adapted:
- Evaporation. The process will require a High-TS Finisher operation. Normal falling-film evaporators gives too much fouling. TEC Square uses a Rototherm-E for the finisher application; it is the ideal evaporator for this purpose. Product concentrations of 60-70% are no exception. And product losses are minimum. As a result run times on the existing evaporator can normally be prolonged.
- Spray Drying. Secondly the spray drying process will require a hot air spray nozzle set-up capable of spraying High-TS concentrates. TEC Square developed its own concept for the High TS Spraying nozzle.
In the end, the quality of the concentration equipment determines the success of the spray drying operation. TEC Square’s solution for High-TS Spray drying has several advantages:
- Higher product quality. The quality of the final product is better, as less water is evaporated.
- Less product losses. The design of a Rototherm-E finisher creates hardly any fouling. Losses are normally restricted to 0.1-0.2% based on total throughput.
- Increase in nominal output. The output of the plant can increase up to 30% if the spray dryer is the bottleneck
- As there is less water in the concentrate, per powder capacity increases dramatically
- Also, as the concentration is more constant, variation in production capacity is removed. A Rototherm-E finisher has the capability to maintain a stable concentration over time.
- Lastly as there is less CIP time required, due to the low fouling conditions in the Rototherm-E finisher and evaporator, the OEE of the plant increases.
High-TS Spray Drying – Only advantages
Characteristics and advantages of High-TS Spray Drying
Product Concentration technology
TEC Square uses Rototherm technology as a finisher. This evaporator gives easily concentrations for spray drying of 60%.
Spray Dryer nozzle technology
The spray dryer is equipped with a special air and spray nozzle distributor that is capable of handling and effectively spraying at this concentration.
This solution increases the hourly capacity as less water will need to be evaporated. Under normal circumstances, the equipment could be retrofitted to an existing spray dryer.
Our solutions also increases the available running hours. This increases the total output per year as well.
High-TS Spray drying uses a more concentrated liquor as supply. As the ratio solids to water is more elevated, less water evaporation will take place.
TEC Square has developed an in-line Agglomeration principle as well. This technology is fully compatible withe the High-TS technology.